Broken Clutch

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Broken Clutch
From: "Mike Chambers" <mikech@sprynet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 17:28:02 -0600
This is my fourth broken clutch in 1.5 years and about 4000 miles.  The car
is a 64 Spitfire with the coil spring type pressure plate.  This is the
fourth disc, the pressure plate has been changed twice, the flywheel has
been resurfaced twice and it has a new pilot bearing.  The disc will crack
in the thin metal that joins the hub to the outter friction surface.  Up
until it cracks the clutch will work fine, very smooth.  When it cracks, bad
vibration when it is released.  Anyone have any idea why this is happening?
I have tried parts from both Spitbits and VB, same brand both places by the
way.
I've got a later diaphram style clutch from the late 60's, (thanks Mitch)
Will this work in my car? Will it bolt up to the flywheel or are they
different? I know it's slightly larger in diameter, is it any better?
Between this and all the other trans problems I've been having, its starting
to get annoying.
TIA
MikeC

///