My findings on gearbox oil

To: "Spitfire List" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: My findings on gearbox oil
From: "D T Gebhard" <kimkell@decaturnet.com>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 20:42:23 -0500
Spitlisters:
     Here's what I found out about gearlubes. I
changed the oil in my '77 Spit. There was a small
amount of shavings stuck to the magnetic plug.
Drained and refilled with Mobil One synthetic gear
lube 85-95. The shifting became rough and even
would grind a bit from 1-2 and 2-3. NEVER did this
before new oil. Went to the farm store near me and
got some straight 90 wt. gear oil,drained the
synthetic junk,refilled with new oil...NO MORE
GRINDING. My mechanic friend told me that the Mobil
one might be too slippery.
        Dave

///