Re: Something for the upcoming VTR.... (a bit long)

To: mporter <mporter@zianet.com>, spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Something for the upcoming VTR.... (a bit long)
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 09 May 2001 07:09:06 -0500
Michael wrote:

...Perhaps John will address a curious point in that equation--that
 Standard-Triumph club members in the U.K. number far in excess of those in the
 U.S., despite the fact that almost 90% of the cars were delivered to the U.S.

I might have some idea why.  Triumph is best known in the States for their
 sports cars - the TR range, Spitfire and GT6 - and it is true that these were
 largely built for export (although I would be surprised if the US really took
 as much as 90%, but I don't have the figures to check!).  However, in the UK
 they were mainly producers of everyday saloon and estate cars (some of which
 were also exported in smaller numbers to the States) - the Herald/Vitesse, the
 2000/2500/2.5PI, the Toledo and Dolomite, and their final effort the Acclaim.
 Since the market for family cars is much larger than that for sports cars, and
 I suspect a much larger proportion of production went for home consumption,
 this would explain the number of UK Triumph owners.  There was also the Stag,
 built mainly for the UK market (seems strange to me, as it seems very suited
 to American tastes), but that was in smallish numbers compared to the saloon
 cars.

I have also heard (from Americans) that there is more of a throw-away attitude
 to cars in the States, partly because they are so much cheaper there.  An old
 car in Britain is more likely to be patched up and kept running, while an
 American is more likely to junk it and buy another - this helps more cars pass
 through the 'banger' phase of their life between 'new' and 'classic' in
 Britain.

Just my thoughts and ideas,

Richard & Daffy

///