Re: Spitfires mailing list meet (was Saskia passes MOT!)

From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 9 May 2001 12:44:10 +0100 (BST)
> In article <20010508134337.10457.qmail@web9604.mail.yahoo.com>, John
> Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk> writes
> >
> >woohoo! She passed at the second time of asking!
>
> Congratulations, John!
> >
> >I will go home tonight, take her to the jet wash for a deserved clean
> and
> >then I'll remove the hard top and fit the rag-top for a hopefully
> >beautiful summer to enjoy!
>
> Here's hoping.
> >
> >I remember a couple of weeks ago some of you UK listers mentioned
> going
> >up to the Spitfire Graveyard, if anyone is up this way let me know and
>
> we
> >can meet up and I'll introduce Saskia to your pride and joy!  Or maybe
>
> we
> >could arrange a meet for later in the summer somewhere in the middle
> of
> >country so we can all make it?
>
> I'm hoping to get Carly back from the garage tomorrow, and, assuming
> all
> goes well, will be in touch with Richard and Daffy to arrange a
> Beds/Cambs List-Meet shortly thereafter.   A UK List-Meet somewhere in
> the centre of England later in the year sounds a wonderful idea.   Put
> me down for a flyer once you get it organised.    Please bear in mind
> that the centre of England, geography notwithstanding, is somewhere to
> the south of Watford Gap. <g>

Keep me posted as to when you plan to have your East Anglia get together,
 I may be able to tie it in with a visit to relatives...

I was thinking somewhere between Sheffield and East Anglia (where we seem
to have a large list contingent, I guess the flat lands must be kinder on
our cars!), close to the M1 or A1.  Maybe meet a pub, have a bite to eat
drive somewhere else (another pub) etc etc...anyone have any thoughts
about what we could do?

> Where exactly are you based?   I shall be driving Carly to Richmond in
> the North Riding on Friday week, D.V., and I think I shall be going
> past
> your door (or within a couple of dozen miles of it at least).   It
> would
> be fun to introduce her to Saskia, and to scrounge a cup of coffee of
> you.

I am based close to Sheffield, about 10-15 mins drive off junction 32 (I
think) of the M1.  Anyone who is up this way is welcome to drop by!

> >I am planning to go to the TSSC Staffordshire weekend on 13th - 15th
> >July, is anyone else planning to go?
>
> I hadn't been, but that is mainly because I have had so many other
> things on my mind recently (including the book-launch and the cruise)
> that I have become completely hopeless at organising anything like
> that.
> (I'm supposed to be in Winchester this weekend, apparently, but it
> escaped my notice, and now I can't get a hotel room!).   If I can sort
> myself out, I might well see you there.

I am off to Thailand for best part of June, I will go LBC spotting, but I
think the most exotic vehicle I am likely to see will be the armies of
tuk-tuks in Bangkok!  I decided that I'd pencil myself in for the TSSC
weekend otherwise I'd end up arranging other stuff on the same weekend.
I seem to be almost as busy/disorganised as you Mike!

cheers
John

///