Re: Spitfires in songs

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfires in songs
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2001 07:00:20 +0100
In article <20010506030502.57620.qmail@web9602.mail.yahoo.com>, John
Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk> writes

>I have just been listening to my 'Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band' - 'The
>Bestiality Of' album and on track 17 - 'Rhinocratic Oaths' they mention a
>Triumph Spitfire!  In the lyric:
>'Mrs Bent, you have won a car contest, would you like a Triumph Spitfire
>or &pound;3000 in cash?
>
>I am not sure what year this track was recored in, does anyone have any
>ideas?

Presumably at some point before they dropped their Doo Dah...   Don't
the sleeve notes give a copyright date?

I don't think a Spit ever cost #3000 new, so perhaps Neil Innes felt
they were underpriced.

>do any of you know any other songs where a Spitfire or other Triumph is
>name dropped?

Not off-hand, but if I ever come across one, I'll let you know.

>An update on Saskia:
>
>Still w/o am MOT although booked in for this Tuesday.  Things for garage
>to fix: Steering rack gaitor(couldn't get nut off, needs heat which I
>don't have!' and headlamp aim, better done by garage.  If Saskia fails on
>owt else then I will argue with them till I'm blue in the teeth!

Good luck to you both.

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///