Re: Alarms and power door locks.

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Alarms and power door locks.
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 20:53:26 -0700 (PDT)
I concur with Joe on that one. Though I've had someone
tear open the top to steal the radio out of my car
once (even though the doors were already open). But I
still feel that locking a convertible is a bit silly.
My friend locks his Z3 when the top is down, when he
leaves stuff in sitting in the console, but he does
put the windows up (?). Yeah, that'll stop 'em.

Anyhow, rather than install the automatic door locks
and alarm. I am currently doing the automatic door
opener on my spitfire. The kit uses electronic
solenoids that operate off of a keychain clicker (just
like your locks/alarm uses). It requires a spring
loaded hinge or a popper to push the door open since
the solenoid is momentary, so I'm also buying a spring
loaded Rocky's hidden hinge kit and will most likely
shave the handles and suicide the doors (as early as
next month).

The clicker and controller has 3 other functions
(momentary and constant power) that you can also use.
And eventually plan on shaving off the boot lock and
using a power lifter for the lid. Hey! and maybe a
hydraulic lifter for the bonnet, wouldn't that be
smooth? (Of course I need to get a new bonnet first).

Terry
'76 Spitfire 1500 (I look forward to the day that I
look at this car and can honestly say "Nope. There's
nothing else I want to do to it. It's perfect the way
it is."...Nah, that'll never happen.)
http://auctions.yahoo.com/

///