Re: purpose of crank and cam sensors?

To: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>,
Subject: Re: purpose of crank and cam sensors?
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 17:00:18 -0700 (PDT)
Pat,
In a sequentially fired fuel injection setup on a 4
stroke car, the computer needs to know whether a given
cylinder is on the compression stroke or the exhaust
stroke. Since the cam runs at 1/2 crank speed, it's a
convenient place to get this info.

Bank fired EFI does not require this, nor does
throttle body injection.

By the way, a guy on one of the Mustang lists swapped
the fuel injection harness connections around to see
what effect mistiming would have. There was very
little difference from the driver's point of view.
This would support the assertion that SEFI seems to
have greatest effect on exhaust emissions. The
manufacturers were forced to deploy it to meet tight
emissions and fuel economy regulations.

Also, most sensors have a biasing magnet inside, and
depend on signals generated by slots in the moving
iron/steel timing disk. Attaching a magnet to a timing
wheel is expensive, and failure prone, cutting timing
slots is cheap. Some use hall effect sensors, others
simple coils. To allow the ECM to sense TDC (or other
fixed point) there is usually a missing tooth or
double wide slot on the crank. The cam sensor usually
only needs one tooth/slot to work, giving a very broad
indication to the ECM that cylinder #1 is compressing
or exhausting. Perhaps that is what you are seeing?

Carter Shore

http://im.yahoo.com/