purpose of crank and cam sensors?

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: purpose of crank and cam sensors?
From: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 09:39:08 -0400
While redoing the timing on my moms Park Ave with a 3.8 ltr I have run
across a question.  It has both a Cam sensor and a Crank sensor.  I for the
life of me cannot figure out why it needs both, as the information is
directly related to the other.  To further complicate  the question, I have
discovered that the magnet on the cam sprocket (that the cam sensor senses)
fell off.  Being covered in metal shavings I am assuming this happened a
long time ago, yet the car still ran,  and only recently started acting
erratic.  So if this was removed, and the car still ran, what is its
purpose?  If it is required to run, then how did it?

By the way this is a distributorless ignition.

Patrick Bowen - who is now thinking of how hard it would be to make a
distributorless ignition for a spit.