Re: Brake Fluid

To: Patrick Baize <speedracre@netzero.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Fluid
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2000 06:00:29 -0800
>"top the reservoir with Castrol Girling Amber Brake Fluid, or a fluid
>which conforms to specification SAE 70 R3. It is vital that no other
>type of brake fluid is used. Use of a non-standardfluid will result in
>brake failure caused by the perishing of the special seals in the master
>and brake cylinders."
***********************************
I've Cc'd the triumphs list as well, as this also applies -

This is referring (basically) to Girling DOT 4 fluid.  The seals in TR's
(as well as almost all Girling brakes at one time) were of a natural rubber
compound, and anything other than DOT 4 would destroy the seals in short
order (ask anybody with an AMC, they also used Girling cylinders)  Use DOT
4, Girling brake fluid and you won't have any trouble.  Use DOT 3 at your
own risk, if it has Original type Girling seals it WILL fail in time, if it
has other more modern synthetic seals, then you might be ok.  But why take
a chance - Girling DOT 4 Fluid is widely available, costs not much more if
any than DOT 3, and is a better all around fluid ([fluif], sorry I couldn't
help it, as this is THE FLUIF that started this anyway) -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)