Re: Amateur Confusion

To: <Growe58@aol.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Amateur Confusion
From: "Edward Hamilton" <hamilton@ptd.net>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 13:44:21 -0400
John has a 1980 spitfire.  I think you are correct for engine numbers up to
109090.  After which, a "air distribution manifold" or air rail was used.
>From the pump to a one way check valve (to prevent damage to the pump in the
case of a backfire or a broken belt).  The tube travels around the back of
the engine, having a support bracket at the right rear head stud.  Four
smaller tubes branch off the rail and enter at the surface of the head.  The
purpose was/is to combine pressurized air with exhaust gases and "...assist
in making more complete the oxidization process in the exhaust system."
Currently, emission standards for the state of Pennsylvania are with respect
to metropolitan areas only.  There are no testing/requirements in rural,
outlying areas.

Ed Hamilton