Re: Amateur Confusion

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Amateur Confusion
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 12:53:07 EDT
Hi, John.

On the federal 78s, a rubber hose exits from the back of the air pump,
runs behind the engine into a one way check valve (prevents backfires from
damaging the air pump), into a metal pipe that fits directly into the manifold
above the converter and below the four branches.  I think that the idea was
to provide air for additional combustion of the mixture and maybe some
dilution for the cat.

Trouble with the manifolds is that they break easily (ask me how I know) due
to the weight of the cat.  There is a bracket and clamp to provide additional
support on the bellhousing, but this often breaks itself or is removed (ask me
how I know).  These exhaust manifolds are therefore somewhat difficult to
obtain
at this point (ask me how I know).  That may be why a header is fitted.

I assume that the header means that your cat converter and EGR valve are
also missing?  I didn't notice what state you're from, but I can tell you
(from
expereince) that a properly tuned spit can pass a tail pipe sniff test
WITHOUT
the emissions equipment. Unfortuneatly some states also require and verify
that the emissions equipment is in place, as PA now does ...

Good luck!

Greg Rowe
78 Spit