Re: Smog Woes (Longish)

To: "jonmac" <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk>, "Dirk Frazier" <dfrazier@yahoo.com>,
Subject: Re: Smog Woes (Longish)
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 15:14:45 -0700
> I say, that's a bit anti-social old chap. Why have you got
> to relicence it? It's not as though its going to another
> country. Can't you sort of be there on a tourist basis? Does
> this mean that everyone who comes to California with a car
> licenced in another state or even country has to licence it
> there before they can use it? I'd better make sure that if
> Canley Girl comes over next year, I steer clear of jolly old
> CA.
>
> Jonmac

Right-o. In theory, one is supposed to relicense and bring cars from out of
state up to smog, insure under California standards. But, many do not.
Military personal are one of the exemptions, for example. And the rest just
keep renewing them in the states they were brought from. The new state smog
laws are really tough-there are new cars that are failed and require a lot
of money to bring them up to CA standards. I won't get into the politics of
it all and making the little guys bear the burden for polution that big
industries get away with...

Suffice it to say, if you can get away with keeping it registered in MI (or
wherever it is you're from) untill it turns 25 and becomes exempt-go for it!
I can't wait for my '78 to become exempt in another 4 years...I hope I last
that long!

Laura G.