Smiths electronic tach question

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Smiths electronic tach question
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 09:52:35 -0700
I hooked up the stock tach on my sentra/spit conversion (white/grey
tach wire to coil  negative) It seems to work fine, except that higher
than about 4500 RPM, it wavers. Engine speed is stable. This is similar
the effect you get if your alternator is producing too much voltage,
but I'm pretty sure my chaging system is OK. My concern is that
the original coil was ballasted (6 volt), but the new one is not.
Anyone know if this affects the tach ?

PS: The car is running great again. The missing problem was apperently
either due to a bad distributor cap, or a leaking vacuum connection to
the idle control circut. For those of you who have been asking for
more details, I'll be dragging out the camera 'Real Soon Now'
and posting some pictures and description on the web.

PPS: I mentioned a swap meet at mini mania this past weekend. Well, my
sources were not accurate. It's next month. Sorry.
--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com