70 spit battery not charging

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: 70 spit battery not charging
From: KHOCO@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Sep 1999 23:53:53 EDT
Listers
           I'm still trying to get the spit up and running. latest and I
think the last problem is that the battery is not charging. I don't think the
charging system has worked since I bought the car. I noticed the ignition
light wasn't working so I replaced the bulb and started the car the light
stayed on and as I increased engine rpm it glowed brighter untill it blew. I
figured it was the voltage regulater so i ordered a new one and and ran down
to the local junk yard and grabbed one from an old 70 spit just to confirm
weather it was the voltage reg or not. when I tried the junk yard volt
regulater it was better. The light dimmed but did not go out. When I got the
new regulater I stuck it in and now completely different problem! The light
just stays on.
            I looked at the generator next. It wasn't in real good shape
(front bearing was real sloppy) so I replaced the generator with a rebuilt
one. Still no change. All the wiring seems to be original, in good shape and
connected correctly. belt tension is ok. ground connection is ok. The voltage
readings on the generator terminals concern me, they both read about a volt
and a quarter and don't change when I rev the engine.
             Anyone got any ideas? Iv'e run out of them. TIA

Ken Copeland
70 GT6+ KC78784
70 Spit FDU84919  (being stubborn)
70 GT6+ KC81551 (Ok so I like 70s)