It lives!!!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: It lives!!!
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 10:17:19 -0700
(another message composed on monday when our DNS was in limbo...)

Those of you who are devoted to originality might want to
skip this message.

My spitfire 1600 DOHC project is now on the road. I picked
it up from the muffler shop on friday. It was running terrible when
we brought it there, a problem we had hoped would be fixed by having
an exhaust system, since the O2 sensor was an inch from the end of the
pipe.
Exhuast didn't fix the problem. It wouldn't rev past about 2K without
terribly surging, but below that it pulled strong even in fifth.
After limping it to my friends house, we dumped the computer codes,
which said the mass airflow sensor was not functioning. Find the broken
wire, twist it together. It sounds MUCH better in the driveway. Try to
take it for a drive, same problem. Oops, the wire came undone. Solder it
together, and head back out. Punch it and it feels like the clutch is
slipping...The engine revs, but we're not accelerating very fast
But the clutch is working and there is a huge cloud of tire smoke behind
us... WHEEEEEEE. The little Nissan Sentra motors power now far exceeds
the
cars tire and suspension. Spending all of my spare time for the last six
monthes on this project now seems totally worth while.

I was going to try to get it to the meet in Palo Alto, but I decided
I would be better of spending the time getting it more road worthy.

Latest news:
After a few days of driving, it has devloped an intermittant miss
that seems to be fuel system related. It's in the shop computer
diagnostics
today...

--
Reed Mideke                                        rmideke@interbase.com