Re: It lives!!!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: It lives!!!
From: Reed Mideke <rmideke@interbase.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Sep 1999 13:29:14 -0700
A couple of you have asked, so here's a brief description.
I'll be putting the details (and some pictures) on a
web site RSN.

The 91 Sentra motor (known as a GA16DE) was converted to rear wheel
drive, by rotating it 90 deg and attaching it to a 5spd transmission
from a Datsun 210 GX. They share enough of the bolt pattern to be a
fairly simple conversion.  A shortened 510 driveshaft connects it to
the spitfire rear.

Motor specs:
Sequential multi port EFI, dual cam, 16 valves, variable intake cam
timing.
It's rated at 110hp (6000 RPM) 108ft/lb (4000 RPM) from the factory. The
rev limiter comes on at a relatively low 6900 RPM.
The variable cam gives it a slightly broader torque curve than many
DOHC motors, although it still favors the high end.

You'll notice that the power specs are almost identical to a GT6.
However my setup should be as light as a spit. (Or even lighter,
since the trans case, bell housing, head and intake are aluminum)
Weight balance should be good, since the front pulley sits
just behind the steering rack.

I've invested many hours of swork into the car, and it's
nowhere near finished. It's definitely not a bolt-on swap.

Peter, thanks for the invite. I probably won't be driving to So-Cal
in near future, but if anyone from the list ends up in the
Santa Cruz, CA area, I'd be happy to meet up. If it's current
fuel problem gets resolved, I'll try to be at the Mini Mania
swap meet this coming sunday in Milpitas. (see www.minimania.com
if your interested.)

Regards and Happy Spitting to all.

--