Re: Rear End Noise (Diff?)

To: "R.D. Waid" <msp01091@isd.net>
Subject: Re: Rear End Noise (Diff?)
From: Kevin Besig <kbesig@borg.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1999 21:54:09 -0400
Bob,
After thinking about it, I also think it's unlikely that an under
torqued  pinion nut could be causing the noise. I had replaced the half
shaft U-joints and drive shaft U-joints previously, so I'm still looking
for the noise. Tonight I realized that the tires were mismatched. The
left side was a P165-SR13, while the right was a P155-SR13. A noticeable
size difference. I assume the PO had oversize tires on the rear, and the
body shop mixed them up before returning the car. I switched them so the
rear tires are the same size, but I won't get to test drive until
tommorrow. It would be to simple a solution to my noise problem.

If its still noisy, I'll take another look at the U-joints and bearings.

Thanks,
Kevin Besig
75 Spitfire FM28619U