Re: ignition light

To: KHOCO@aol.com
Subject: Re: ignition light
From: "Donald H. Locker" <dhl@mrdog.msl.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 21:42:07 -0400
Sounds like the generator is maybe trying to charge the battery
through your ignition light.  :)

Recognising that the light should glow more dimly as the engine revs
until it finally extinguishes altogether (when the cutout relay
contacts close, they bypass the lamp) but noting that it glows more
brightly, suggests that the generator is generating in reverse
polarity, starting at close to zero volts and going down.

Use your voltmeter to check this; with the engine running, the
regulator terminal marked D should be positive to earth.  If it is
not, the solution is to momentarily connect the B terminal to the F
terminal to get the generator field polarised.  You can do this with
the engine off (safer that way) or with it running.  If you elect to
do it running, watch to see if your ignition light doesn't go out; it
should.  This procedure will generate sparks, so don't be too
surprised and don't have any flammables lying about.

If that fails, please let me know.  I might have another idea by
then.  If it works, let me know too.  That's some arcane knowledge
that is often useless in this, the "real" world.

Donald.