Re: Headlight wiring

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, CraigS@iewc.com
Subject: Re: Headlight wiring
From: "Dean Dashwood" <ddashwoo@ect.enron.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Sep 1999 09:30:42 +0100

Craig,

Why not go back to basics here?  Disconnect the battery, then twist some wires
together.  Reconnect the battery, and see what lights come on.  Let's say for
example (and this really is only an example - someone else might know the actual
wire colours, but the DPO may have changed them anyway) that when the red and
blue wires are joined, the sidelights come on, and when the blue, red and brown
wires are all connected together, the side and dipped lights come on.  (I don't
think there's any danger of shorting anything out here, so long as you make sure
that all the bare wires are protected from any metal parts, but maybe someone
can confirm this?)

Ok, now you know what you want your switch to do.  The next thing is to work out
how to do it.  Do you have a multimeter?  If you do, use the resitance setting
and check for Overload (open circuit) or 0 (closed circuit).  If not, connect
one end of the test lamp to the + side of the battery, and a wire to the - side
of the battery.  Then connect use the free end of the lamp and the free end of
the wire to test the switch - light off = open circuit, light on = closed
circuit.

Put the switch into each of its three positions in turn.  Use the meter or the
lamp to establish which contacts do what in each position.  (If the switch came
with a wiring diagram, this will help with this stage, or maybe even make it
unnecessary.)

Now connect the wires, and you're done!

Good luck,

Dean