Re: CraneCam Electronic Ignition

To: Bob Norway <examiner@scci.net>
Subject: Re: CraneCam Electronic Ignition
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 15:00:05 -0700
Bob,
In the Crane installation notes there is the following:

"All vehicles with O.E. breaker points ignition are factory equipped
with ballast resistance.  This can be in the form of a ceramic ballast
resistor or a resistance wire between the ignition key and COIL+
terminal.  It can also be in the form of internal ballast resistance
within the coil.  All Bosch blue coils and Lucas coils have internal
resistance.  Coils with internal resistance will measure 3 to 4 ohms
from COIL- to COIL+ terminals

XR700 BALLAST RESISTANCE NOTES
1. If you are keeping the O.E. coil, you do not need to do anything as
far as ballast resistance.  Skip ahead to the next section.
2. If you are changing coils and your car has a ceramic ballast resistor
or resistance wire, do not use any additional ballast resistor that may
be provided with the coil.
3. If your O.E. coil has internal resistance and you are changing to a
new coil with lower resistance (such as aftermarket performance coil),
you must add a 1.2 to 1.9 ohm ballast resistor.  If a resistor is not
supplied with the new coil, use a Chrysler style two terminal ballast
resistor such as Echlin ICR23 or Wells CR107.  Connect the ballast
resistor between the COIL+ terminal and the ignition switch."

Notice there was nothing said about the O.E. Electronic ignition
systems.  However I would conclude by the above passage that ballast
resistance is mandatory for the Crane XR700.

Regards,
Joe

Bob Norway wrote:

> Listers,
> Getting ready to replace my OE CEI ignition with the CraneCam Allison
> electronic ignition (its on order). However, while getting prepared, I
> found that I currently have NO ballast resistor. So, my question
> is...... is it really needed, (since I don't and haven't had one and it
> ran fine)  for what purpose and will I need it with the Crane ignition?
> OR does a new resistor come with the Crane kit? OR will I need to order
> a new resistor from one of our parts vendors?
>
> TIA
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Bob Norway
> Rockledge, Florida
> Home Page http://www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/Lobby/5953/mypage.html
> ICQ# 3752712
> ***************************
> Blackbird Association
> Member #1263
> ***************************
> Charter Member
> TLCB - Thailand, Laos, Cambodia Brotherhood
> http://www.tlc-brotherhood.org/
> Udorn RTAFB Nov'70 - Nov'71
> 432 AMS/Autopilot
> ***************************
> Member Udorn VFW Post 10249
> Sawadee Home Page http://www.khonkaen.com/vfw/index.htm
> ***************************
> Life Member Air Force Association
> http://www.afa.org
> ***************************
> Life Member Air Force Sergeant Association
> http://www.afsahq.org/
> SpitList
> 1976 Triumph Spitfire 1500
> FM43376UO - Daily Driver