Re: decarburizing(?)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: decarburizing(?)
From: nikolai jaremka <njaremka@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Aug 1999 04:13:08 -0700 (PDT)

thanks, jon.  i would have felt a little pushy to say again that
i already had the head removed.

so, with the head removed, what would be the best way to remove
the carbon from the tops of the pistons without doing grave
damge to them?  i had used a razor-scraper before, but it left
little scratch marks in the tops of the pistons.  is this too
much?  how much is too much damage?

--- jonmac <jonmac@ndirect.co.uk> wrote:

> >One of the 'tricks' we used back in the reciprocating
> powerplant days was
> >use hydraulic fluid down the carb(s) throat while at 75%.
> Nasty stuff,
> >atomized cherry juice.
>
> Seems to me we've had suggestions to blow in atomised water,
> crushed nuts of
> the vegetable variety and other liquids. Unless I've got
> threads mixed up,
> wasn't the original query something along the lines that the
> lister had
> already removed his cylinder head because of a blown gasket
> and needed
> advice of what to do from thereon in? If the head is already
> off, why not do
> the work the old fashioned way - with tools?
>
> Jonmac

===
nikolai jaremka
72 spitfire mkIV