Re: decarburizing(?)

To: "David Brock" <davidb@ilx.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: decarburizing(?)
From: "John Weber" <weberjm@teleport.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:26:31 -0700
One of the 'tricks' we used back in the reciprocating powerplant days was to
use hydraulic fluid down the carb(s) throat while at 75%.  Nasty stuff,
atomized cherry juice.  Cleans the entire fuel path downstream of the intake
valves.  Not recommended for powerplants with mufflers.  Can't inject to
fast or the fire goes out.
Water is good, but not as good.
On the GE-T64-413 (and -6b) we used water with some slurry mix from GE.
100% Ng, 50% and accelerating Nf, and you'd hork 2 gallons down the intake
with the spray nozzle doohicky on a pressure washer.  GAWD!   but it cleaned
well.  Didn't want it on your skin or in your eyes.  But the entire airpath
was neato clean.
For us non-catalytic folks, WD-40 works almost as well, but can promote
burned valves very easily.  FWIW, WD-40 is a great diesel engine starter
fluid as well.  Not too much!

Nothing beats a flow bench and a honing artist.

John
'75 Spit