RE: decarburizing(?)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: decarburizing(?)
From: David Brock <davidb@ilx.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:46:29 -0400
The water trick is what I watched my mechanic friend do in the first weeks I
owned Bev- except it wasn't sprinkled in- we actually poured over 2 litres
(half gallon) through the carb throat over the course of about 90 seconds.
As long as the revs were kept up, it didn't stall, and the black & white
smoke from the tail pipe, he said, was the soot and steam, depending on
whether the engine happened to be revving high or low at that moment.

This cleared up a nagging run-on problem which, he said was due to
superheated (glowing) carbon deposits in the chambers.  Of course, all
disclaimers apply.

;-David