Engine Temperature

To: "'spitfires@autox.team.net'" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Temperature
From: Ben Bacon <Ben@HEI-KC.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:53:41 -0500
I'm a fairly new spitfire owner having purchased a 79 spit in non running
condition two months ago.  I've been driving it for about two weeks.  I've
noticed that the engine temperature gauge usually runs towards or at the
third tic mark (3/4 hot ).

This seems a bit hot to me but don't know what's normal.  Air temp is 95+
degrees F. and speeds at 60-70 MPH.  It does not go above the three quarters
mark.  I've taken the thermostat out which has had no effect on temp.  Is
this normal or do I need the have the radiator rodded or cored.

Also, I'm averaging about 25 MPG which seems low.  I've adjusted the mixture
needle as lean as it will go, but it still seems to run rich.  Carb is a
Stromberg 150,  needle is a 45P.  There appears to be some wear on the
needle.  Any suggestions.

Besides the above two problems the car is in good shape (now).

Thanks,
Ben Bacon
Paola KS.
Ben@hei-kc.com <mailto:Ben@hei-kc.com>