Re: Rear wheel wobble

To: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Re: Rear wheel wobble
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 10:30:34 -0400
At 10:02 PM 08/07/1999 -0500, Victor B. Michael wrote:
>I jacked up the rear end and put jack stands under the uprights, started
>up the engine and put it in gear to watch-the-wobble. The axle was
>obviously straight and somewhere through the trunnion to the studs is
>where the wobble is.

Vic, you have looked carefully at the outboard axle end and there is no
runout, correct?  Even a teensey bit will be multiplied at the wheel.

> The tin grease cover does not seem to wobble but
>the wheel base (the large round metal plate where the brakes mount,
>etc.) does wobble. Does this mean it's the hub? No?

That "wheel base" you mention is where the wheel studs mount right?  And if
my memory serves, you removed that hub without the specified tool?

If so, it may have been bent a bit. (remove the brake drum so you can watch
it spin.  And be very careful running the car with the rear wheels off the
ground!!)

Maybe another lister has experience with this, but is it possible to create
wobble if the tapered and keyed axle does not mate snugly to the hub?

Cheers,

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire
Succasunna, NJ USA
"Even professionals make mistakes; theirs only cost more."