Re: Rear wheel wobble

To: Atwell Haines <carbuff@nac.net>
Subject: Re: Rear wheel wobble
From: "Victor B. Michael" <vmichael@enteract.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Aug 1999 20:21:27 -0500
AH,
> >I jacked up the rear end and put jack stands under the uprights, started
> >up the engine and put it in gear to watch-the-wobble. The axle was
> >obviously straight and somewhere through the trunnion to the studs is
> >where the wobble is.
>
> Vic, you have looked carefully at the outboard axle end and there is no
> runout, correct?  Even a teensey bit will be multiplied at the wheel.

Uhm, runout? I examined the entire axel from the differential to the
"axel hub and flange"
and it seems the only wobble occurs outward of the "axel flinger". My
references are a VB catalog.
As I look at, this symptom looks (and feels) like the inner bearing.
(but i'm obviously not sure)

> > The tin grease cover does not seem to wobble but
> >the wheel base (the large round metal plate where the brakes mount,
> >etc.) does wobble. Does this mean it's the hub? No?
>
> That "wheel base" you mention is where the wheel studs mount right?  And if
> my memory serves, you removed that hub without the specified tool?
>
> If so, it may have been bent a bit. (remove the brake drum so you can watch
> it spin.  And be very careful running the car with the rear wheels off the
> ground!!)
>
> Maybe another lister has experience with this, but is it possible to create
> wobble if the tapered and keyed axle does not mate snugly to the hub?

No, I'm actually refering to the largest metal plate where the wheel
cylinder and adjuster assy mount. The protective plate behind the drum.

I didn't remove the hub at all. I don't have the tool and thought I may
be getting in over my head.
I may end up resorting to this, though...

Where can I find this tool???

Thanks,

vic