Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:43:48 EDT
As an act of exteme bravery or extreme foolhardiness or maybe both, I find
myself
disagreeing with Joe and Andy...

Yes, you get wear on ALL the engine parts with a "dry start", but

1- You have no choice on the other parts - bearings, cylinder walls etc.  You
DO however have the option of reducing the load on the thrust washer - why
not take advantage of it?  and
2-  The bearings, cylinder walls etc are not known for premature wear and
catastrophic failure.  The thrust washer is.  Again, why not take the ounce
of
prevention?

And yes, leaving the clutch engaged while starting means that you have to
spin part of the gearbox as well as the engine, but that is putting additional
load on the starting circuit, not the tranny.  And starters are cheap compared
to engines.

Please be kind in replying as my Nomex is at the dry cleaners!

-Greg

Joe Curry writes