Sitting in gear was Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Sitting in gear was Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust
From: Growe58@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:43:41 EDT
I've been driving stick for almost 25 years (where DID the years go?) and
this is a
new one to me.  Why is leaving it in gear at lights a safety procedure?  I
presume
so that you can move quickly if necessary, but if your traffic is anything
like mine,
where would you go?  Cars in front of you, cars behind you, cars in the
incoming
lanes etc.  Also, after typically sitting through two or three light changes
before
getting through the intersection, I would be afraid that my leg would spasm
and
I would leap forward into the car in front of me (or more likely, leap UNDER
the
SUV in front of me).  Finally, does your throw out bearing typically last as
long
as the clutch?

Not trying to flame, honest!, just genuinely curious...

-Greg

Laura (and Nigel!) writes