Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: Michael Burdick <burdick@abacus.mc.duke.edu>
Subject: Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:31:24 -0600

Michael Burdick wrote:

> Joe Curry wrote:
>
> > In theory, the mentioned wear would be from the force of the crank being
> > pushed against the thrust washer.  Although, I think the problem is
> > minimal.
>
> Hi Joe - let me respectfully say "I'm not so sure about that".  The force
> pushing against the thrust washers when the clutch is disengaged is not
> insignificant (the clutch pedal is a pretty good lever arm), and the
> application of this force very often occurs after the oil has had plenty
> of time to drain back into the pan.  A high load with minimal lubrication
> could very well lead to premature wear.  I always start my engine with my
> foot off of the clutch pedal - I've already rebuilt my engine twice (once
> the right way!) and am not in any hurry to do it again.  Too many other
> projects waiting!

Not to say the pressure is minimal, but rather the duration that the
effect occurs is.  Although I suppose the fact that most Triumphs are
not "daily drivers", there probably is ample time for the oil to drain
off the thrust washers into the oil pan; giving the dry surface you
mention.  You're probably right that it is better to err on the side of
caution.

> Hope you're liking AZ - I actually bought my Spitfire when I lived there
> 11 years ago.  No body rust, but everything else was in pretty bad
> shape...

So far so good.  Although I'm sure I will like it much more when I get
into my own place and can spread out all the Spitfire stuff I brought
from Washington.

Regards,
Joe
 -- Dave Weinbaum in National Enquirer