Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?

To: Joe Whalley <jw@mitre.org>
Subject: Re: Starting with clutch engaged helps thrust washers?
From: Fred Griffiths <griffco@mail.cadvision.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 08:31:58 -0600
Joe Whalley wrote:

> Someone mentioned that starting the car with your foot off the clutch (I
> guess that means out of gear) will help preserve the thrust washers.
> What is the reason behind this?

        having got my thrust washers out of the bottom of the oil pan last
week, I'll
explain it as I see it.  It seems the washers are oiled only by splash from the
crankshaft and dribble running down the crankcase wall.  Therefore when you
start with
the clutch pressed, you are putting pressure on the rear thrust washer.  It
isn't lubed
until the engine is running.
        By leaving the clutch out (and out of gear) the crank floats freely,
endwise,
with no force on the thrust washer, hence less wear.

So my question is, now that I've added a lower washer to the bearing cap, would
it be
wise to drill a small hole (say 1/16") from the spot in the bearing cap under
the hole
in the bearing shell, out to the side of the cap, through the thrust washer to
it gets
positive lube.

        I'd say 1/16" so that the engine won't lose pressure when the washer
DOES wear.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Fred
--