That gasket blew my head away

To: <spitfires@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: That gasket blew my head away
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 1998 00:18:01 -0000
I keep on having to put water in my car, 1.5 L per journy infact.

I can never seem to bleed away all the air.

I start the car, it stays cold for 3 minuets then rockets up to red hot.
Stop put in, releace the pressure, air blows though the filler bottel.  I
can here water boiling in the block.  Fill up with 1.5 L of water, put the
cap back on, no more probs untill it cools down again.

So I checked for oil resembeling musterd. OIl's fine.

So next a compression test.

cylinder
4 - 160 and what appers to be water beaing squerted out of the cylinder.

So I think I have got an extreamy slow blown head gasket under the studs
that sureprise surprise I didn't like the way the torqued down, I came close
to stripping them infact.

So the lession, don't take no for an answer from your cylinder head studs, I
just hope I havent stripped the block!

I am unsure if to do this myself in the street (the landlord still has not
cleared the garage) or get a mecanic(evil money grabing creatures that they
are) to do it.  If I were at home it would be easy, but it's just doing it
in the street that bothers me.

The other thing that worise me is if its not a gasguet mabe it's a cracked
block or head, my lovely new re-bore. OH NO!!!

I knew I should not have put rad flush in the car!