Re: Re:Spitfire performance

To: "Laura G." <savercool@email.msn.com>,
Subject: Re: Re:Spitfire performance
From: "James Carpenter" <jc_carpenter@softhome.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 1998 21:06:32 -0000
Ok in my mag it states, and I highly recomend getting a copy of this with
the tunig guide, it's "Classics" published by SPL.

Spitfire 1500 can get 115 bhp it list various stages.

4-2-1 manifols of 4-1 for more top power and a desent sports system.

If you want more power the carbs to put on are Webber 45DCOE or Dellorto
DHLA, but there ain't no point unless yor do some head work,  atleast
gas-flowes with re-shaped valves.
After that with the head mods fit larger inlet valves with a re-shaped
compustion chaimber.  Then larger exhaust and bronze guides.

Fast road cam is all your likey to need, although sprint of semi-race gives
abit more power at the expence of drivability.

When you have this you should fit electronic ignition, oil cooler, and
duplex or belt timing chain.

This should give 115 BHP.

For the 1300 it says
Performance exhaust, richer carb needel and heaver springs, re-worked head
with larger inlet and rocker pedistral shims to get 18BHP extra.   Folow
this by hotter cam, special folowers and a single webber and you get
23-26BHP extra, dule webber and you get 100BHP.

As for Triumph 4 pot heads.   "Dave Vizard"
6 port can flow more air when re-worked and respond whell ro high
compression. Arn't as good as the 'A' serise.
8 port flow much better than the 'A' serise,  Intake responds whell to
larger valve, but unless shaped whell flow swirls and torque suffers.  For
good results weld and reshape chamber along the lines of a Cooper S head.
(Anyowe know what that looks like)

Other than for the engin is says

Treat the 5.5j rims 175 secion as the max width for road use, (I tend to
agree, 15" rims and low profiles so the tires are the same outside shape are
nice though).

Stiffer front and rear springs, uprated shocks, Nylatron bushes all round.
Or make shure your orriginals are in good condition.  Check the rear radius
arm is firmly bolted to the floor heel board.

I noted a definat lack of thing to say about the brakes transmition
interiour etc.

One final note is that they also had an artical on the conventry climax
engin.  Resheaping and welding of the head allowed 135BHP from a 1.0 L
engin.  Howmainy BHP per CI is that?