Re: First Major Drive

To: James <james.carpenter@ukaea.org.uk>,
Subject: Re: First Major Drive
From: Atwell Haines <carbuff@tempest.nac.net>
Date: Thu, 03 Sep 1998 07:40:05 -0400
At 07:33 AM 9/3/98 +0000, James wrote:
>Whell, I took the car for it's first major drive today,

Good feeling isn't it?

>So as I drove they
>stayed spoung for about 15 miles, then just as I came to slow for a
>corner at 16 miles, I braked, and the brakes were more firm and
>responcive than they have ever been.

Got that air out, did we?   I would still give them one more quick bleed.

>But it dosent solve the problem of why my tyers are feathering on the
>insides, wrong springs - camber?  They said too 100 miles, and bring it
>back so I will.

I always thought feathering was a toe problem, but that should be gone
because as I recall you renewed everything in the front (bushings, BJ,
trunnions, tie rod ends)?   You should not be able to dtetect feathering in
only 20 miles.

>I have noticed a problem with vapour lock in the car, so I need to get
>some heat shields sorted.   Should the carb's be insulated from the
>heated rear manifold by asbesdos or somthing.

My 1500 has a 2-layer asbestos heat shield that  bolts to the original
intake manifold.   But that's a single Stromberg, you have SUs?

>I also noticed the gear box tunnel heat wave and fumes problem!  So I
>have to drive with the top down (no good for today).

I'm looking into sealing my tunnel better today.   (Now that its getting
cool, I don't know why.)

You are now entering the shakedown phase.   My car took about 4 months to
get sorted.    Happy motoring.

Atwell Haines
'79 Spitfire  FM96062 UO
(53 HP)

Succasunna, NJ USA

The One Immutable Rule of Automotive Satisfaction:
"It is more fun to drive a slow car fast than to drive a fast car slow"
- Cory Farley in Autoweek, 8/17/98