RE: Spitfire 6 Curiosity

To: "Gambony, Jim" <jim.gambony@eds.com>
Subject: RE: Spitfire 6 Curiosity
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 10:51:35 -0700
>Feel free to jump on me if I'm wrong (not that I doubt it'll happen anyway),
>but I thought I saw in the "Spitfire/GT6 Guide to Originality" that the GT6
>actually used SOFTER front springs for a more "civilized", grand touring
>(GT) type ride.  The question would then be what is the difference in spring
>length between the GT6 and the Spitfire.
**************************************
Sure, I'll jump in here.  You are correct in that the ride was 'adjusted'
for the softer boulevard one that was thought to be favored in the states,
but that doesn't negate the heavier engine.  The stock spring rate for the
GT6 works out to be about 200 lbs/inch with a fitted load of 880lbs.  The
Spitfire works out to be around 150lb/inch at 718 lbs fitted.  As fitted
the length is 7.80 for the Spitfire and 8.06 for the GT6, only an increase
of about a quarter of an inch, but which may explain the slightly higher
front end look of the GT6's.
***************************************
>If you're swapping brakes and rotors then I assume you also have the
>vertical links and appropriate steering arms?
**************************************
The vertical links with tie rod levers, rotors, calipers with metal hoses
and brackets, rubber brake hoses, and hubs are really the only additional
items you need for the front.  The A-arms are the same for both models.
It's my understanding that in the beginning the factory tested boxing of
the A-arms but found it unnecessary.  The steering bits are all the same
unless you also want the lighter steering effort and slower steering of the
GT6-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)