Re: Spitfire 6 Curiosity

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Spitfire 6 Curiosity
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 07:23:41 -0700
>He's running it through the Spit gearbox and rearend, which, I think,
>are the same anyway...
********************************
They are similar but not the same.  I don't believe you can use the
Spitfire gear box on the GT6 engine.  The input shafts for the two are
different.  The GT6  input shaft is longer and uses different ratios than
the Spitfire, and you can't use the Spitfire bellhousing/rear engine plate
on the GT6 block as the Starter is on the opposite side and would foul the
oil filter.  Even if it were possible, the materials used in the Spitfire
box are not as strong (can we really say that about the GT6 anyway?) as the
GT6 ones and it won't last nearly as long.  Also the ratios would be all
wrong- but aside from that the rear may be from a Spitfire as these are the
same from 71 on-
********************************
>I'd start with the GT6 and
>use a Spit tub.   I'd like to start out with the rotoflex rear setup and
heavier
>front suspension.
*******************************
Well, it's not quite that simple.  You would have to use the GT6 front
suspension no matter what you do, and that is a truly bolt on swap,  but
the rear is a little different with the rotoflex setup.  The upper shock
mounts are in the wheel well arches on special mounting brackets which
would have to be welded in place (been there done that).  There are kits to
convert to a shock mounting that attaches between the body tub and frame at
the rearmost mounting bolts if you don't want to do the welding.  Aside
from that you WILL have to reinforce and use the inner most mounting points
for the radius arms.  This will require some welding in that area around
the floor and mounting points.  The front will be heavier, can't help that,
but since you ARE using the brakes from the GT bias will not be a problem.
The engine is a lot heavier and you WILL need the bonnet from the GT as the
bulge IS required.  You will also have to use the tranny tunnel, and modify
the firewall around the starter, and floor for starter/bellhousing bulge
clearance.
   If it were my swap, and I didn't want the rotoflex setup (but who
wouldn't) Then I would just drop the GT6 engine/tranny in a Spitfire, swap
the front suspension parts, and change to the rear brakes from a swing axle
GT6.  Then aside from the bonnet and firewall mod's all you would have to
do is weld a couple of small mounting brackets for the GT6 radiator mounting-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)