Re: assundry jealous rubber bits

To: larry hooven <dirty_howi@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: assundry jealous rubber bits
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 06:54:04 -0700
>1...are the trunnion seal(s) the same for the mk 1-3 and the 1500??
>vb shows both in the new catalog, but does not list a part number for
>the 1500...
*****************************
Yes, the trunnions and their seals are all the same throughout the range,
but the trunnions themselves are left and right handed so you will have two
different part numbers for those.  The seals are all the same however
****************************
>2...are the front and rear wheel studs the same part number...the
>picture on page 125 of the new vb catalog shows the stud, but
>specifically states front...and in the rear suspension section the
>brake hubs are not even shown...go to rear brake section, and nuttin...
****************************
Yes, they are the same part, check out page 130 (axles and hubs) of the
same catalogue or part number 158729 from those suppliers that use the
original Leyland part numbers.  If you are going to replace all the studs,
you might consider using TR7 (rear?) studs.  These are much bigger and
stronger and with a slight mod can be used in the Spitfire/GT6 range.
****************************
>3...BPNW has stock shocks made by QH, standard on sale, being poor
>right now, but wanting to be done with the front end in a week or so,
>is this false economy
I seem to remember that Armstrong was bought out by someone, but I don't
*think* it was QH, but at any rate, they are the original type of shock,
and are satisfactory for every day, normal driving.  You can always replace
them with uprated ones at a later date without upsetting the suspension
settings-

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)