Spitfire Exhaust

To: spitfires@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Exhaust
From: "Kevin B. Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 12:17:43 -0400
I am thinking of what to do about the decidedly non-stock exhaust system on
Freddy the mongrel Spit. He is mostly a 77 chassis with a 69 1300 engine.
When I bought him, he had a truly cheesy (and LOUD) muffler going straight
out the back. He has a header, and the pipe back to the muffler is 2"+
diameter. This setup had very little ground clearance, I used to whack the
muffler every time I drove it. I replaced the muffler last year with a
somewhat less cheesy Dynomax muffler, but it is still a straight out the
back system that dangles rather lower than I would like (and it fell off
once already - has better mounts now )- I still hit it occasionally with
two people in the car. This one sounds pretty good - loud under
acceleration, but reasonable at cruise. I would like a more stock fitting
exhaust that still sounds good, with better ground clearance. Any
suggestions?  Would a dual outlet GT6 muffler fit/work well? Will I end up
having to change the center pipe? Well at least it's a simple system - my
Peugeot has three mufflers and a rat's nest of piping!

TIA,
Kevin Rhodes