Re: Tall Gears

To: rkcroft@ibm.net
Subject: Re: Tall Gears
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 07:31:17 -0700
    <  snip  >
>Although it's nice for cruising  [3.27 ratio] I'm concerned
>with what it's doing to the drivetrain.  Any thoughts?
Randy,
Nothing to be concerned about, driveline wise.  Yes, it's from a GT6, and
other than a little more clutch slippage to engage 1st gear and slower off
the line I wouldn't worry.  I had thought you had installed that ratio, and
just wondered why, as the original ratio of 4.11 or 3.89 with overdrive
would give you the same freeway cruising with better off the line
acceleration.  With only 1147?, 1296? cc's and a max un-modified hp of only
around 70, you need all the help you can get.  Unfortunately (for
acceleration), I see you bought it that way.

72 V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (project)
73 Ford Courier (parts hauler, rain vehicle, getting a V6 soon!)