Re: Tall Gears

To: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Subject: Re: Tall Gears
From: Kris & Randy Croft <rkcroft@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 1998 15:35:15 -0600

> Randy,
> What engine are you running?  That would make a lot of difference in the
> effect the diff will have.  If it is an early Spit with a stock 1147,
> that ratio may in fact be too high.  But who knows, that may have been
> changed to achieve the particular effect you have.  If you desire to
> change to a different (lower) diff, I'm sure you would have a bunch of
> takers if you offered the 3.27 as trade bait.  I think I recall Mark
> Sinclair in San Francisco looking for that ratio last summer.  I think a
> compromise 3.89 would do a lot for your pep, and still achieve a decent
> top end.
>
> Joe Curry

JoeI have the original 1296 cc engine which I believe has not been modified
in any way and a stock 3 rail trans. The VB catalog says the diff I have
KC55993 is from a 1968 - 1970  GT6 and is a 3.27:1 ratio. My biggest
worry is that the small clutch assembly will not be able to take the
punishment. Would starting from a dead stop in 1st gear with the 3.27
be like starting in 2nd or 3rd gear with the 4.11? The speedo being
out of wack doesn't concern me as much as the clutch. Does any one
make a heavy duty clutch assembly?

Randy Croft