Re: [Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?

To: Shop-Talk List <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?
From: Peter Murray <peterwmurray@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 09:46:17 -0500

--000000000000022c8d05b814285f

I have a couple of these - the USA-made original Form-A-Funnel. They make
almost any drain plug work just fine, and are incredibly durable.

https://formafunnel.com/

I also install the Fumoto oil drain valves on my cars, which also makes a
huge difference. One can get versions with a nipple, which allows for the
attachment of a hose to direct the output wherever you'd like.

http://www.fumotousa.com/index.php

-Peter
-

On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 9:35 AM old dirtbeard <dirtbeard@gmail.com> wrote:

> Yes, that is what NAPA says:
>

> http://knowhow.napaonline.com/understanding-oil-drain-plug/#:~:text=3DThe=
%20plug%20isn't%20always,a%20speed%20bump%20or%20pothole
> [...]
> to get a socket on, less likely to strip, etc.
>
> best,
>
> doug
>
> On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 6:23 AM Brian Kemp <bk13@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> I think they are horizontal for extra protection against ground impact.
>> If they stuck out the bottom and you went off road or drove over a concr=
ete
>> stop in a parking lot, an oil drain plug could take a direct impact and
>> perhaps have greater damage than hitting a frame rail or suspension bit.
>>
>> I share your frustration with the oil filter location from my Honda
>> Odyssey.  Changing the filter caused oil to come down directly on the fr=
ame
>> rail.  My solution was to take a foot square of alluminum foil and make =
my
>> own deflection device to catch all the oil and direct it to the drain pa=
n.

>> Brian
>>
>> On 1/4/2021 5:14 AM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
>>
>> OK, this is half vent and half "can someone explain why the heck do they
>> do this to us?"
>>
>> I notice that just about EVERY modern's car drain plug drains
>> horizontally and not vertically (where the plug come straight down from =
the
>> bottom of the oil pan.)  This make's oil changes SO much harder and mess=
ier.

>> Then, I've even seen (2018 Ford F150) where it has a frame rail right in
>> front of the oil hole and it splashes the nearly 2 GALLONS of oil
>> everywhere.  Then, the oil filter has a 'slide' under it to redirect the
>> oil to the front of the frame, which is nice, EXCEPT that it doesn't go =
all
>> the way back to under the oil filter!  This means that some oil drips un=
der
>> the oil filter while more drips in front of the frame rail about 2 feet
>> away (meaning no single oil pan can catch both.)  I'm seeing this in mor=
>> and more cars that have stupid oil drains.
>>
>> Now I get that engines are sometime designed in a vacuum and the frame
>> builders don't care what is in the way, but it just seems that for optim=
al
>> oil changes, a plug should be at the bottom of the pan.  With all the
>> environmental concerns, I would also imagine that any way to prevent oil
>> spills and splashes would be ideal.
>>
>> Can anyone explain this?  Or is it just a case of designers really HATE
>> mechanics?
>>

>> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rationa=
>> being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory." Ralph
>> Waldo Emerson
>> -Who is John Galt?

> http://autox.team.net/mailman/options/shop-talk/peterwmurray@gmail.com

--000000000000022c8d05b814285f

nnel. They make almost any drain plug work just fine, and are incredibly du=
ves on my cars, which also makes a huge=C2=A0difference. One can get versio=
ns with a nipple, which allows for the attachment of a hose to direct the o=
ww.fumotousa.com/index.php">http://www.fumotousa.com/index.php</a><br></div=
gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 9=
:35 AM old dirtbeard &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:dirtbeard@gmail.com";>dirtbeard@g=
"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-le=
 href=3D"http://knowhow.napaonline.com/understanding-oil-drain-plug/#:~:tex=
t=3DThe%20plug%20isn&#39;t%20always,a%20speed%20bump%20or%20pothole" target=
=3D"_blank">http://knowhow.napaonline.com/understanding-oil-drain-plug/#:~:=
text=3DThe%20plug%20isn&#39;t%20always,a%20speed%20bump%20or%20pothole</a>.=
0px"><div><i><span style=3D"color:rgb(0,0,0);font-family:Tahoma,sans-serif;=
font-variant-ligatures:no-discretionary-ligatures">The plug isn=E2=80=99t a=
lways located on the bottom side of the pan. In fact, you=E2=80=99ll most o=
ften find it attached to the side, where it=E2=80=99s better protected from=
 damage that could arise from scraping against a speed bump or pothole.</sp=
 having them on the side perhaps makes them more readily visible if you are=
 sliding under the car on a creeper, easier to get a socket on, less likely=
"gmail_attr">On Mon, Jan 4, 2021 at 6:23 AM Brian Kemp &lt;<a href=3D"mailt=
o:bk13@earthlink.net" target=3D"_blank">bk13@earthlink.net</a>&gt; wrote:<b=
r></div><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex=
;border-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">
 =20
   =20
 =20
    I think they are horizontal for extra protection against ground
    impact.=C2=A0 If they stuck out the bottom and you went off road or dro=
ve
    over a concrete stop in a parking lot, an oil drain plug could take
    a direct impact and perhaps have greater damage than hitting a frame
    rail or suspension bit.<br>
    I share your frustration with the oil filter location from my Honda
    Odyssey.=C2=A0 Changing the filter caused oil to come down directly on
    the frame rail.=C2=A0 My solution was to take a foot square of alluminu=
    foil and make my own deflection device to catch all the oil and
    direct it to the drain pan.<br>
    Brian<br>
=3D"_blank">eric@megageek.com</a>
      wrote:<br>
     =20
        &quot;can
        someone explain why the heck do they do this to us?&quot;</font>
        modern&#39;s
        car drain plug drains horizontally and not vertically (where the
        plug come
        straight down from the bottom of the oil pan.) =C2=A0This make&#39;=
s oil
        changes
        SO much harder and messier.</font>
ord
        F150)
        where it has a frame rail right in front of the oil hole and it
        splashes
        the nearly 2 GALLONS of oil everywhere.=C2=A0 Then, the oil filter
        has
        a &#39;slide&#39; under it to redirect the oil to the front of the
        frame, which
        is nice, EXCEPT that it doesn&#39;t go all the way back to under th=
        oil filter!
        =C2=A0This means that some oil drips under the oil filter while mor=
        drips
        in front of the frame rail about 2 feet away (meaning no single
        oil pan
        can catch both.) =C2=A0I&#39;m seeing this in more and more cars th=
at
        have
        stupid oil drains.</font>
        sometime
        designed in a vacuum and the frame builders don&#39;t care what is
        in the way,
        but it just seems that for optimal oil changes, a plug should be
        at the
        bottom of the pan.=C2=A0 With all the environmental concerns, I wou=
ld
        also
        imagine that any way to prevent oil spills and splashes would be
        ideal.</font>
r is
        it just a case of designers really HATE mechanics?</font>
        &quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as=
        rational
        being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quo=
t;
        Ralph
        Waldo Emerson <br>
        -Who is John Galt?</font>