[Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net type=4; name=$KeepSent
Subject: [Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?
From: eric@megageek.com
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 08:14:08 -0500 01/04/2021 08:14:08 AM, Serialize complete at 01/04/2021 08:14:08 AM
--===============7326749738640284768==

--=_alternative 0048B4D585258653_=

OK, this is half vent and half "can someone explain why the heck do they
do this to us?"

I notice that just about EVERY modern's car drain plug drains horizontally
and not vertically (where the plug come straight down from the bottom of
the oil pan.)  This make's oil changes SO much harder and messier.

Then, I've even seen (2018 Ford F150) where it has a frame rail right in
front of the oil hole and it splashes the nearly 2 GALLONS of oil
everywhere.  Then, the oil filter has a 'slide' under it to redirect the
oil to the front of the frame, which is nice, EXCEPT that it doesn't go
all the way back to under the oil filter!  This means that some oil drips
under the oil filter while more drips in front of the frame rail about 2
feet away (meaning no single oil pan can catch both.)  I'm seeing this in
more and more cars that have stupid oil drains.

Now I get that engines are sometime designed in a vacuum and the frame
builders don't care what is in the way, but it just seems that for optimal
oil changes, a plug should be at the bottom of the pan.  With all the
environmental concerns, I would also imagine that any way to prevent oil
spills and splashes would be ideal.

Can anyone explain this?  Or is it just a case of designers really HATE
mechanics?

Waldo Emerson
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 0048B4D585258653_=

someone explain why the heck do they do this to us?&quot;</font>
car drain plug drains horizontally and not vertically (where the plug come
straight down from the bottom of the oil pan.) &nbsp;This make's oil changes
SO much harder and messier.</font>
where it has a frame rail right in front of the oil hole and it splashes
the nearly 2 GALLONS of oil everywhere. &nbsp;Then, the oil filter has
a 'slide' under it to redirect the oil to the front of the frame, which
is nice, EXCEPT that it doesn't go all the way back to under the oil filter!
&nbsp;This means that some oil drips under the oil filter while more drips
in front of the frame rail about 2 feet away (meaning no single oil pan
can catch both.) &nbsp;I'm seeing this in more and more cars that have
stupid oil drains.</font>
designed in a vacuum and the frame builders don't care what is in the way,
but it just seems that for optimal oil changes, a plug should be at the
bottom of the pan. &nbsp;With all the environmental concerns, I would also
imagine that any way to prevent oil spills and splashes would be ideal.</font>
it just a case of designers really HATE mechanics?</font>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>

--===============7326749738640284768==--