Re: [Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Oil plugs, WHY?
From: Mike Sinclair <phoenix722@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 2021 05:33:57 -0800

--------------B46BF0F40B65610C682EA2B3

I have to agree.  My 2005 Colorado has a cheapo plastic "funnel" on top
of the frame, under the filter, and it catches about 75% of the spill.
The filter is almost horizontal, too!  I did have a Ford wagon once
where the sump drain was on a corner, but reachable from above.  Handy.

Mike

On 1/4/2021 5:14 AM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> OK, this is half vent and half "can someone explain why the heck do
> they do this to us?"
>
> I notice that just about EVERY modern's car drain plug drains
> horizontally and not vertically (where the plug come straight down
> from the bottom of the oil pan.)  This make's oil changes SO much
> harder and messier.
>
> Then, I've even seen (2018 Ford F150) where it has a frame rail right
> in front of the oil hole and it splashes the nearly 2 GALLONS of oil
> everywhere.  Then, the oil filter has a 'slide' under it to redirect
> the oil to the front of the frame, which is nice, EXCEPT that it
> doesn't go all the way back to under the oil filter!  This means that
> some oil drips under the oil filter while more drips in front of the
> frame rail about 2 feet away (meaning no single oil pan can catch
> both.)  I'm seeing this in more and more cars that have stupid oil
> drains.
>
> Now I get that engines are sometime designed in a vacuum and the frame
> builders don't care what is in the way, but it just seems that for
> optimal oil changes, a plug should be at the bottom of the pan.  With
> all the environmental concerns, I would also imagine that any way to
> prevent oil spills and splashes would be ideal.
>
> Can anyone explain this?  Or is it just a case of designers really
> HATE mechanics?
>

> "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
> rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your
> territory." Ralph Waldo Emerson
> -Who is John Galt?

--------------B46BF0F40B65610C682EA2B3

  <head>
      charset=windows-1252">
  </head>
        cheapo plastic "funnel" on top of the frame, under the filter,
        and it catches about 75% of the spill.  The filter is almost
        horizontal, too!  I did have a Ford wagon once where the sump
        drain was on a corner, but reachable from above.  Handy.</font></p>
class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated"
href="mailto:eric@megageek.com";>eric@megageek.com</a>
      wrote:<br>
cite="mid:OF7107AA39.7A6E4632-ON85258653.0047B44B-85258653.0048B4D7@mail.megageek.com">
        charset=windows-1252">
        "can
        someone explain why the heck do they do this to us?"</font>
        modern's
        car drain plug drains horizontally and not vertically (where the
        plug come
        straight down from the bottom of the oil pan.)  This make's oil
        changes
        SO much harder and messier.</font>
        F150)
        where it has a frame rail right in front of the oil hole and it
        splashes
        the nearly 2 GALLONS of oil everywhere.  Then, the oil filter
        has
        a 'slide' under it to redirect the oil to the front of the
        frame, which
        is nice, EXCEPT that it doesn't go all the way back to under the
        oil filter!
         This means that some oil drips under the oil filter while more
        drips
        in front of the frame rail about 2 feet away (meaning no single
        oil pan
        can catch both.)  I'm seeing this in more and more cars that
        have
        stupid oil drains.</font>
        sometime
        designed in a vacuum and the frame builders don't care what is
        in the way,
        but it just seems that for optimal oil changes, a plug should be
        at the
        bottom of the pan.  With all the environmental concerns, I would
        also
        imagine that any way to prevent oil spills and splashes would be
        ideal.</font>
        it just a case of designers really HATE mechanics?</font>
        "Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a
        rational
        being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory."
        Ralph
        Waldo Emerson <br>
        -Who is John Galt?</font>
      <pre class="moz-quote-pre"