Re: [Shop-talk] Tire studs

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tire studs
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2020 17:06:48 -0500 (EST)
On Thu, 17 Dec 2020, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> OK, I'm looking to put studs on my zero turn tractor for when I'm plowing
> snow.  Is there any 'method' to putting them on?  How many per tire?
> Patterns?  The tires are a knobby design and work pretty good in the snow
> already, but once the snow packs a little to ice, they can't get any bite.
> So I figured some studs would be perfect.

Buy some Kold Kutters, and screw them in from the outside.  By far the
easiest installation option.

https://koldkutter.com/

I used to use these for ice-racers, with excellent results.  I still have
a box of about 2500 of them, well-used and rusty now, kicking around here.

Depending on how thick the tread of your tires is, you might also want to
add some Tire Slime or other sealant inside.

--
  David Hillman