Re: [Shop-talk] Tire studs

To: eric@megageek.com
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tire studs
From: Jeff Scarbrough <fishplate@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 2020 07:03:57 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Forgive me for what I'm about to say, as I'm a Florida boy and have
only ever seen snow every few years, and just a couple of inches at
that.  Never had to shovel, never had to plow...never even saw a plow
until I was over 40 years old...

Reading Arvid's suggestion, could one make a set of solid steel wheels
with nubs welded on them?  It would be a rough ride, but it might work
and be cheap.

Can you dismount a tire and drive sheet metal screws through from
inside to outside?  THen use a tube and a heavy rubber belt to protect
the tube from the screw heads...  Maybe flat head screws would go in
enough to not need protection.

How about moving down south, where these things just don't exist?

When I was much younger, I worked with a guy from Colorado.  He was
the one that introduced me to the concept of studded tires.  He told
me that the studs take a set after a season of driving, and their
favorite thing was to go out on an evening after the last snowfall to
a dark road, and swap the rear tires from side to side.  Then, when
you did a burnout, the studs would catch and be ejected from the
tires, producing a brilliant arc of glowing sparks that could be seen
for miles across the mountains.  Sounds like great fun to me.

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.