Re: [Shop-talk] Tire studs

To: Eric Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Tire studs
From: Phil Ethier <pethier7@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2020 12:23:31 -0600
Cc: Shop-talk@autox.team.net

--Apple-Mail-656B0CBD-7FE2-467F-9253-3B14D9C22A4F
        charset=utf-8

Buy chains

Sent from my iPhone

> On Dec 17, 2020, at 12:17 PM, Eric Russell <ejrussell@mebtel.net> wrote:
>=20
> =EF=BB=BF
> A gazillion years ago (before the invention of dirt) I wanted to put studd=
ed snow tires on my daily driver MGA. (I lived in Massachusetts then.) Tire s=
tores were not allowed to sell studded snow tires. But they could sell snow t=
ires and a package of studs for the DIY'er to install. The tires had a serie=
s of holes molded into the tread. The package of studs - they looked like so=
lid rivets - came with an installation tool sort of like a screwdriver handl=
e. Put the stud into the end of the tool, press the head of the stud into th=
e holes molded into the tread and push until they were seated. It was a lot o=
f work but I was young and hearty. As I recall, the studs had to be installe=
d before the tires were driven on - I assume that otherwise the holes might g=
et filled with dirt (a new invention) preventing the studs from being fully s=
eated.=20
>=20
> Eric Russell
> Mebane, NC=20
>=20
> On 12/17/2020 12:51 PM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
>> OK, I'm looking to put studs on my zero turn tractor for when I'm plowing=
 snow.  Is there any 'method' to putting them on?  How many per tire?  Patte=
rns?  The tires are a knobby design and work pretty good in the snow already=
, but once the snow packs a little to ice, they can't get any bite.  So I fi=
gured some studs would be perfect.=20
>=20
>=20

--Apple-Mail-656B0CBD-7FE2-467F-9253-3B14D9C22A4F
        charset=utf-8

020, at 12:17 PM, Eric Russell &lt;ejrussell@mebtel.net&gt; wrote:<br><br></=
 =20
      charset=3Dwindows-1252">
 =20
 =20
      put studded snow tires on my daily driver MGA. (I lived in
      Massachusetts then.) Tire stores were not allowed to sell studded
      snow tires. But they could sell snow tires and a package of studs
      for the DIY'er to install. The tires had a series of holes molded
      into the tread. The package of studs - they looked like solid
      rivets - came with an installation tool sort of like a screwdriver
      handle. Put the stud into the end of the tool, press the head of
      the stud into the holes molded into the tread and push until they
      were seated. It was a lot of work but I was young and hearty. As I
      recall, the studs had to be installed before the tires were driven
      on - I assume that otherwise the holes might get filled with dirt
      (a new invention) preventing the studs from being fully seated. <br>
    Eric Russell<br>
    Mebane, NC <br>
      <a class=3D"moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href=3D"mailto:eric@megageek.com=
">eric@megageek.com</a> wrote:<br>
166BD-85258641.0062209B@mail.megageek.com">
        charset=3Dwindows-1252">
        my zero
        turn tractor for when I'm plowing snow. &nbsp;Is there any 'method'
        putting them on? &nbsp;How many per tire? &nbsp;Patterns? &nbsp;The t=
ires
        are a knobby design and work pretty good in the snow already,
        but once
        the snow packs a little to ice, they can't get any bite. &nbsp;So I
        figured
        some studs would be perfect.</font>
 =20

--Apple-Mail-656B0CBD-7FE2-467F-9253-3B14D9C22A4F--

--===============7373429694302365094==

--===============7373429694302365094==--