Re: [Shop-talk] I HATE ROCKAUTO!!! (anyone else?)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] I HATE ROCKAUTO!!! (anyone else?)
From: John Miller <jem@milleredp.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 12:18:48 -0700
On 7/16/2020 12:02 PM, eric@megageek.com wrote:
> OK, this is a partial vent, but it's also a warning to anyone out there
> about Rockauto.
>
> THEY ARE HORRIBLE!

Actually, I've had very good luck with them, with some caveats.

First off, yes, ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check the shipping cost.  It can
vary hugely.

Secondly, their 'vendor closeouts' or whatever they call them this week
are often back-inventory that's been sitting on the shelf for a decade
or returned four times because it wasn't the right part.  You're
spinning the dial if you buy one of those.  Had some really weird and
rusty crap show up.

I've found their customer service quite reasonable.  That six-dollar
clutch slave cylinder that turns out to be utterly the wrong part
they'll credit back, they don't want it back, it goes in the garbage.

And their site more or less sets the standard for the industry in terms
of general-purpose parts lookup.

John.