Re: [Shop-talk] Re-wiring an outdoor outlet

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] Re-wiring an outdoor outlet
From: Ronnie Day <ronnie.day@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 2020 14:12:20 -0500
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <Shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--00000000000040c36c05aa1b2125

Scott, I like the idea of the box being a bit above the ground. Water
couldn't pool in it that way. All of the outside surface mount boxes I've
put in in the last several years have been plastic. Reduces the chance of
shortin if water does get inside. And I wrap each plug with electrical tape
to further reduce shorting possibilities.

If the conduit is in decent shape you can reuse it if you want. I'd pull
new wire, using the old wire to pull the new, suggest #12 stranded. You can
put a GFCI breaker in the panel, or a GFCI plug, but you need one or the
other. If you cast a "rock" to disguise this thing (I like the idea) be
sure to put a drain hole so that any water that does get inside the box
drains naturally.

HTH, RD

On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 1:45 PM Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
wrote:

> I have this:
>
> https://i.imgur.com/QWy2Ikn.jpg
> https://i.imgur.com/s39fdds.jpg
>
> Happening at the new house. Those rocks surround the pool deck for
> ornamentation, I guess.
>
> Shockingly (or not, heh), those outlets work. I'd like to re-do the whole
> thing to be anchored into the ground and not make me nervous every time I
> look at it.
>
> The pool is about eight feet away. Maybe two feet of that rock...'garden'
> then six feet of concrete decking. Those outlets themselves don't appear to
> be GFCI, though I'd think it was a good idea. They have their own
> sub-panel, on the side of the house maybe forty feet away.
>
> I'm completely okay with throwing the breaker and installing a new actual
> outlet, I'm soliciting advice on how to re-do that conduit (can you
> 'splice' conduit so I dig and then do it like I'd do PVC?) and anchor the
> whole thing firmly to the ground. And for specific solutions you guys can
> think of too--I was thinking I could pour a concrete 'rock' in the garage
> with a hole for a gang box and then put that where this thing is now, etc.
>
> Thanks guys.
>
> Scott

--00000000000040c36c05aa1b2125

ound. Water couldn&#39;t pool in it that way. All of the outside surface mo=
unt boxes I&#39;ve put in in the last several years have been plastic. Redu=
ces the chance of shortin if water does get inside. And I wrap each plug wi=
d pull new wire, using the old wire to pull the new, suggest #12 stranded. =
You can put a GFCI breaker in the panel, or a GFCI plug, but you need one o=
r the other. If you cast a &quot;rock&quot; to disguise this thing (I like =
the idea) be sure to put a drain hole so that any water that does get insid=
r">On Fri, Jul 10, 2020 at 1:45 PM Scott Hall &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:scott.h=
all.personal@gmail.com">scott.hall.personal@gmail.com</a>&gt; wrote:<br></d=
iv><blockquote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;bord=
er-left:1px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex"><div dir=3D"ltr">I hav=
https://i.imgur.com/s39fdds.jpg"; target=3D"_blank">https://i.imgur.com/s39f=
rocks surround the pool deck for ornamentation, I guess.=C2=A0</div><div><b=
r></div><div>Shockingly (or not, heh), those outlets work. I&#39;d like to =
re-do the whole thing to be anchored into the ground and not make me nervou=
 feet away. Maybe two feet of that rock...&#39;garden&#39; then six feet of=
 concrete decking. Those outlets themselves don&#39;t appear to be GFCI, th=
ough I&#39;d think it was a good idea. They have their own sub-panel, on th=
 completely okay with throwing the breaker and installing a new actual outl=
et, I&#39;m soliciting advice on how to re-do that conduit (can you &#39;sp=
lice&#39; conduit so I dig and then do it like I&#39;d do PVC?) and anchor =
the whole thing firmly to the ground. And for specific solutions you guys c=
an think of too--I was thinking I could pour a concrete &#39;rock&#39; in t=
he garage with a hole for a gang box and then put that where this thing is =
ott</div></div>
ox.team.net</a><br>
Archive: <a href=3D"http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk"; rel=3D"norefer=
rer" target=3D"_blank">http://www.team.net/pipermail/shop-talk</a> <a href=