Re: [Shop-talk] everybody OK with Covid-19?

To: Shop-talk@autox.team.net type=4; name=$KeepSent
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] everybody OK with Covid-19?
From: eric--- via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 2020 18:31:23 -0400 03/19/2020 06:31:26 PM, Serialize complete at 03/19/2020 06:31:26 PM
References: <CAE16_w1_M3OR4qPDtYe0eZprpfuOHX5vxv0K-Sy=uCSkzr9qxA@mail.gmail.com> <MW2PR07MB39782291CB1EF6966DFEB424BBF90@MW2PR07MB3978.namprd07.prod.outlook.com> <OFB646E1A8.C9E7F92E-ON8525852D.00816C30-8525852D.0081EFEA@mail.megageek.com> <CAO8Q7COma7k6Q-9FpX21kN-Mw3A64G=wmqAvspmRd9gM1b1Tug@mail.gmail.com> <264fbe30-490e-b18a-dc51-efcca081854f@dfn.com> <1558077923.4074766.1584447872807@mail.yahoo.com> <OF22DF3C6D.0D1B6289-ON85258530.006033CB-85258530.0061A6F2@mail.megageek.com> <BCA136F1C7A24E1B86607088E2C008AB@RYPC>
--===============2184548216476955058==

--=_alternative 007BB9F785258530_=

I do appreciate everyone's comments here.  I'm not trying to start a war
or anything, and I will stop if no one wants to hear my side (just let me
know)

But I'm guessing we all have some extra time on our hands now and this is
a great way to stay in touch with others, without risk.

A few rebuttals,

Yes, they are saying that this seems to be more fatal then the flu,
however, I believe there are 2 main reasons for that.
1-where it started, china then moved to Iran.  Both of these places have
poor nutrition, poor medical care (and even poorer access to it.), and
elderly populations.  Italy also has poor medical care (albeit better than
the other two.)  So fatalities were higher than average modern
populations.

2-Then, there is most likely a vast populations (even in those areas) that
got the virus, and shrugged it off as the flu, got better, and never
reported it.  So that means that you can track 100% of the fatalities, but
you do not know how many 'sick but were fine' people you had.  This will
artificially inflate fatality statistics.

So, that is why it may SEEM to be worst. Next, comparing this to the
Spanish flu is unfair as we have a way more advance medical machine
worldwide now.  Even if that flu hit today, there wouldn't be the same
amount of deaths.

For my job. I have been living and breathing this stuff for almost two
weeks. We are taking a in depth look at every aspect.  The victims in our
state all had other serious health issues. In fact the first person to die
here had just about every major issue you can think of.
Is it sad people are dying? Yes. I am not trying to down play it.  But
these were all people that the flu most likely would have impacted as
well.  It doesn't make it any less tragic, but it does instill fear in the
rest of the population for something they can't see the details on. People
see a "number of fatalities" statistic.  But they don't see the
"aggravating factors for each person" facts.

My point is that the response may be way worst than the virus itself.
Entire cities/states/countries shutting down.  Livelihoods lost.  People
losing jobs, and means to support their families. Even with stimulus
packages (that further reduce the dollars worth) business will be closed
for good, jobs that don't come back. All because populations of people
that were vulnerable to the flu or other viruses, contracted one called
'covid-19.'  If they contracted the regular flu and died, it would have
been like any other year. I hate to sound so insensitive, but it is
because I'm rooting for the whole society and what's best for the vast
majority. (yes, I'm sure sounds like the plot to an original Star Trek
episode.)

Populations are panicking, I hope we don't see riots for food and supplies
as people are being bombarded with more and more fear mongering by the
media. And yes, people choose their media,but the vast majority of people
just watch one side of the 24h networks and have no idea how mis-informed
they are. I can say without reservations that the people on this list are
unequivocally in the 'better informed and educated' group, but go talk to
the average person on the street if you want to see how mis-informed
people are. A good test is to ask 100 people "who the speaker of the house
is?"  I'd be amaze if you got 10 correct answers (and if more than 20
people even had an educated guess.)

Even if it doesn't come to riots, the stress on people, the loss of
educational opportunities (many college students may have to repeat
classes or entire semesters, delaying their graduations.)

Or, if there is a REAL emergency that comes later, how many people will
completely ignore it because covid-19 was a big nothing burger?

I'm not even going to go into my future prediction, as this is already
enough of a bummer.

To leave on a positive note, it is awesome that most families are going to
get to spend a ton of time together.  It's great that we get time to
pursue our passions and hobbies. It is also great that this is happening
when we are entering spring and the weather is breaking.

Please feel free to comment, I will not respond unless asked to as I don't
want this to drag out unless there is enough interest.  This list has been
a great resource for me for decades, and I respect each and ever one of
you opinions and advice.

Now, I'm going back to look in the sofa cushions to see if I missed
something.  8>)

Waldo Emerson
-Who is John Galt?
--=_alternative 007BB9F785258530_=

&nbsp;I'm not trying to start a war or anything, and I will stop if no
one wants to hear my side (just let me know)</font>
time on our hands now and this is a great way to stay in touch with others,
without risk.</font>
to be more fatal then the flu, however, I believe there are 2 main reasons
for that.</font>
to Iran. &nbsp;Both of these places have poor nutrition, poor medical care
(and even poorer access to it.), and elderly populations. &nbsp;Italy also
has poor medical care (albeit better than the other two.) &nbsp;So fatalities
were higher than average modern populations. </font>
populations (even in those areas) that got the virus, and shrugged it off
as the flu, got better, and never reported it. &nbsp;So that means that
you can track 100% of the fatalities, but you do not know how many 'sick
but were fine' people you had. &nbsp;This will artificially inflate fatality
statistics.</font>
Next, comparing this to the Spanish flu is unfair as we have a way more
advance medical machine worldwide now. &nbsp;Even if that flu hit today,
there wouldn't be the same amount of deaths.</font>
this stuff for almost two weeks. We are taking a in depth look at every
aspect. &nbsp;The victims in our state all had other serious health issues.
In fact the first person to die here had just about every major issue you
can think of. </font>
not trying to down play it. &nbsp;But these were all people that the flu
most likely would have impacted as well. &nbsp;It doesn't make it any less
tragic, but it does instill fear in the rest of the population for something
they can't see the details on. People see a &quot;number of fatalities&quot;
statistic. &nbsp;But they don't see the &quot;aggravating factors for each
person&quot; facts.</font>
way worst than the virus itself. Entire cities/states/countries shutting
down. &nbsp;Livelihoods lost. &nbsp;People losing jobs, and means to support
their families. Even with stimulus packages (that further reduce the dollars
worth) business will be closed for good, jobs that don't come back. All
because populations of people that were vulnerable to the flu or other
viruses, contracted one called 'covid-19.' &nbsp;If they contracted the
regular flu and died, it would have been like any other year. I hate to
sound so insensitive, but it is because I'm rooting for the whole society
and what's best for the vast majority. (yes, I'm sure sounds like the plot
to an original Star Trek episode.)</font>
don't see riots for food and supplies as people are being bombarded with
more and more fear mongering by the media. And yes, people choose their
media,but the vast majority of people just watch one side of the 24h networks
and have no idea how mis-informed they are. I can say without reservations
that the people on this list are unequivocally in the 'better informed
and educated' group, but go talk to the average person on the street if
you want to see how mis-informed people are. A good test is to ask 100
people &quot;who the speaker of the house is?&quot; &nbsp;I'd be amaze
if you got 10 correct answers (and if more than 20 people even had an educated
guess.) &nbsp;</font>
stress on people, the loss of educational opportunities (many college students
may have to repeat classes or entire semesters, delaying their
graduations.)</font>
comes later, how many people will completely ignore it because covid-19
was a big nothing burger?</font>
prediction, as this is already enough of a bummer.</font>
that most families are going to get to spend a ton of time together. &nbsp;It's
great that we get time to pursue our passions and hobbies. It is also great
that this is happening when we are entering spring and the weather is
breaking.</font>
not respond unless asked to as I don't want this to drag out unless there
is enough interest. &nbsp;This list has been a great resource for me for
decades, and I respect each and ever one of you opinions and advice.</font>
cushions to see if I missed something. &nbsp;8&gt;)<br>
&quot;Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational
being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.&quot; Ralph
Waldo Emerson <br>
-Who is John Galt?</font>

--===============2184548216476955058==--