Re: [Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring

To: Scott Hall <scott.hall.personal@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring
From: Jeff Scarbrough via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 07:51:26 -0400
Cc: "shop-talk@autox.team.net" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

--000000000000557f720594f19b31

You need to de-tension the spring first - the spring is trying to pick up
the door with the cable when it's down, and you would need to replace the
weight of the door with a secure fastening - I'm not sure what that would
look like, or how you would maneuver the cable from the door to the
temporary restraint.  AS for the spring, I used to be in the garage door
business.  I did this all the time.  And I have a healthy respect for that
spring - there's a lot of potential energy there that can go kinetic in the
blink of an eye.

As described elsewhere, you just use two rods...but...they have to match
the sockets very closely or they can slip out.  And you need to keep your
skull out of the way of the rods.  And even if you do it just right, you
can still get hurt.

There's no shame in calling in a professional who can let the tension off,
swap the door out, and properly re-tension it for the weight of the new
door.  And depending on the age of the springs, they could be replaced at
the same time.  They break from time to time, and that's no fun...

Jeff Scarbrough
Corrosion Acres, Ga.

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 11:39 PM Scott Hall via Shop-talk <
shop-talk@autox.team.net> wrote:

> Got a new insulated garage door for winter here. Need to remove the old
> door.
>

> Torsion springs seem to be one of those things that drive emergency room
> visits in real life, not just internet clickbait.
>

> Before I just do what Google says, I think I'd like to hear from the
> real people on a subject like that. Can I somehow un-do the cable ends
> from the door, or the cables from the springs and then remove the door
> panels, or do I need to de-tension the torsion spring first?
>

> And if I need to de-tension it, what's the best method to avoid smashed
> skulls or broken limbs?
>

> Thanks in advance.
>

> Scott

--000000000000557f720594f19b31

ying to pick up the door with the cable when it&#39;s down, and you would n=
eed to replace the weight of the door with a secure fastening - I&#39;m not=
 sure what that would look like, or how you would maneuver the cable from t=
he door to the temporary restraint.=C2=A0 AS for the spring, I used to be i=
n the garage door business.=C2=A0 I did this all the time.=C2=A0 And I have=
 a healthy respect for that spring - there&#39;s a lot of potential energy =
cribed elsewhere, you just use two rods...but...they have to match the sock=
ets very closely or they can slip out.=C2=A0 And you need to keep your skul=
l out of the way of the rods.=C2=A0 And even if you do it just right, you c=
e in calling in a professional who can let the tension off, swap the door o=
ut, and properly re-tension it for the weight of the new door.=C2=A0 And de=
pending on the age of the springs, they could be replaced at the same time.=
=C2=A0 They break from time to time, and that&#39;s no fun...</div><div><br=
div class=3D"gmail_quote"><div dir=3D"ltr" class=3D"gmail_attr">On Mon, Oct=
 14, 2019 at 11:39 PM Scott Hall via Shop-talk &lt;<a href=3D"mailto:shop-t=
quote class=3D"gmail_quote" style=3D"margin:0px 0px 0px 0.8ex;border-left:1=
px solid rgb(204,204,204);padding-left:1ex">Got a new insulated garage door=
 for winter here. Need to remove the old <br>
door.<br>
Torsion springs seem to be one of those things that drive emergency room <b=
r>
visits in real life, not just internet clickbait.<br>
Before I just do what Google says, I think I&#39;d like to hear from the <b=
r>
real people on a subject like that. Can I somehow un-do the cable ends <br>
from the door, or the cables from the springs and then remove the door <br>
panels, or do I need to de-tension the torsion spring first?<br>
And if I need to de-tension it, what&#39;s the best method to avoid smashed=
skulls or broken limbs?<br>
Thanks in advance.<br>
Scott<br>
ox.team.net</a><br>