Re: [Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [Shop-talk] De-coupling overhead door torsion spring
From: Jimmie Mayfield via Shop-talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Oct 2019 00:29:34 -0400
I'm normally a DIY-kind of guy.   But there are some things where the
price of goofing is just too high.  For me, garage door springs fall
into that domain and I'm willing (not necessarily happy, mind you, but
willing) to pay a tech to come out to deal with them.  It's not that I
cannot learn to do it, it's just that a rookie mistake might lead to a
permanent injury.  Given that a garage spring is one of those things
that you probably only mess with once or twice (when I mine broke, the
tech replaced it with a larger spring and said he'd be shocked if the
new one didn't last at least 30 years), the amortized cost of paying
someone else to take those risks is pretty small.